R-122 mkII - Royer Labs
Active ribbon mic.
The R-122 MKII takes the R-122 to a whole new level, delivering unprecedented flexibility for ribbons via the addition of a switchable -15 dB pad and a switchable bass-cut filter. The switches are completely out of the circuit when disengaged so when both are off, the microphone is for all purposes an original R-122 MKII. The switches are located on the back of the microphone and recessed to prevent accidental activation.
The R-122 MKII is a compact, monaural, phantom powered ribbon microphone – the first ribbon microphone of its kind. Sonically similar to our R- 121, the R-122 MKII exhibits a flat frequency response and a well balanced, panoramic soundfield, but it is 13 dB more sensitive, its transient response is faster and its electronics provide an optimum load to the ribbon element at all times. Like the R-121, its ability to withstand high SPL’s makes it ideal for applications that were previously considered off limits to ribbon microphones.
The R-122 MKII ’s active electronics produce an output comparable to studio condenser microphones and provide an optimum impedance to the ribbon element, preventing overdamping of the ribbon element and assuring consistent microphone performance. The high gain and low output impedance of the R-122 MKll allow it to operate with any microphone preamplifier with phantom power, including those of nominal gain and input impedance characteristics. It is also well suited for use with long cable runs, which
can be helpful in live situations.
The R-122 MKII utilizes a low mass, 2.5-micron, pure (99.99%) aluminum ribbon element.
The R-122 MKII ‘s unique, patented offset-ribbon transducer assembly incorporates rare earth Neodymium magnets in a specially designed flux frame, which forms a powerful magnetic field while reducing unwanted stray magnetic radiation. The smooth frequency response and phase linearity of the R-122 MKIIl , coupled with its sophisticated active electronics system, enable the R-122 to deliver a consistent natural acoustic performance with stunning realism. Frequency response is excellent regardless of the angle of sound striking the ribbon, and off-axis coloration is
The R-122 MKII ’s offset-ribbon design positions the ribbon element toward the front of the microphone body, which allows for high SPL handling on the front (logo) side and the option of a slightly brighter response when recording lower SPL sound sources on the back side (3 feet and closer; phase reversed in this position).
R-122 MKII FEATURES
- Active electronics provide high output capability, optimal impedance to the ribbon element, extremely low self noise and low output impedance
- Operates on standard 48-volt phantom power
- High SPL capabilities for electric guitar and percussion instruments
- Absence of high frequency peaks, “ringing” and phase shifts
- Ribbon element unaffected by impedance/load, heat or humidity
- Equal sensitivity from front and back of element
- Very low magnetic leakage
- Close and distant miking
- Electric and acoustic guitar
- Vocals, commercial broadcast, voiceover
- Brass, horn sections
- Drum overheads, kick drum (see manual for position), room miking
- Percussion instruments
- Strings – solo & sections
- Acoustic piano, harp, etc.
- Live Events – recording and sound reinforcement
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient with active electronics.
- Polar Pattern: Figure-8
- Generating Element: 2.5-micron aluminium ribbon
- Magnets: Rare Earth Neodymium
- Frequency Response: 30 – 15,000 Hz ±3 dB
- Sensitivity: -36 dB (re. 1v/pa ±1 dB)
- Switchable Pad: -15 dB
- Switchable Bass Cut: 100 Hz (6 dB per octave)
- Self-Noise: < 18 dB
- Output Impedance: 200 Ohms, balanced
- Output Connector: Male XLR 3-pin (Pin 2 Hot)
- Rated Load Impedance: 1K-Ohm minimum
- Maximum SPL: 135 dB @ 30 Hz
- Power Requirements: 48-Volt Phantom Only
- Supply Current: 4 mA
- Dimensions: 206mm L X 25mm W (8 1/8” L X 1” W)
- Weight: 309 grams (10.9 oz)
- Finish: Burnished Satin Nickel / Matte Black
- Chrome (optional)
- Accessories: Protective wood case, mic sock
- Optional Accessories: Wind screen, shock mount